Recycling, Trash Collection, Yard Waste, and Illicit Discharge Reporting Information
Single stream recycling curbside pick-up will be every other week on “Blue Mondays” per Frederick County’s recycling schedule. Recyclables must be placed at the curb no later than 6 am of the day of collection. Please place cart with the lid facing the street, four feet from possible obstructions. Please note: Your curbside collection is through Frederick County. Customer service matters should be directed to them by calling 301-600-2960 or sending an email.
Click here to visit the Frederick County’s Website Recycling Page
A joint Frederick County/Town of Walkersville recycling program supplies a RECYCLABLES dumpster in the parking lot behind Town Hall (21 W. Frederick Street, Walkersville) the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. The dumpster is provided for all Frederick County residents and businesses, an attendant provides supervision and assistance.
Trash collection is provided by the Town on Wednesdays. Place containers and bundles at the curb before 7:00 a.m. Ecology Services will NOT take the following:
- Items in excess weight of 45 lbs
- Items in excess length of 3 1/2 feet
- Household hazardous waste
- Paint (unless dried by adding drying agent sand, sawdust, kitty litter)
- Yard waste
Bulk trash collection is provided by the Town twice each year. The date is on Cable Channel 99 and this website.
Items not acceptable for bulk trash collection include:
– Hazardous materials such as pesticides, acids, toxic waste, radioactive materials, chemicals, etc.
– Liquids such as gas, kerosene, paint, etc.
– Explosives such as gun powder, firearms, ammunition, etc.
– Residential construction and demolition debris, including lumber, concrete, bricks, and drywall.
– Miscellaneous items such as dead animals, hot ashes, septic tank sludge
– More than one mattress/box spring per household
– Yard waste (because it should be taken for recycling at the mulch pile)
– Bagged household waste (because it should go to regular trash pickup)
Yard Waste – Heritage Farm Park Compost Facility:
The Town’s trash hauler will NOT collect yard waste. The compost facility accepts grass clippings, leaves, branches under four inches in diameter, and other yard waste. The use of this Frederick County compost facility is for non-commercial/residential yard waste. Use biodegradable bags for grass and yard waste.
This is a Frederick County facility- please contact their Office of Recycling at 301-600-2960 with questions.
The compost site is open as follows:
May 1 – October 31 – 9a.m. to 7 p.m.
November 1 – April 30 – 9a.m. to 4p.m.
Report Illicit Discharge:
Frederick County Office of Sustainability and Environmental Resources – Shannon Moore 301-600-1413
Hazardous or unknown spills and emergencies requiring immediate attention – Fire and Rescue Hazmat Team – 911
Sewer spills or leaks – Frederick County Division of Utilities and Solid Waste Management – 301-600-1825 or after hours 301-600-2194
Septic Discharge, spills, or leaks – Frederick County Health Dept., Environmental Health Section – 301-600-1719 or 301-600-1603 emergency